skip to main |
skip to sidebar
A sore subject
I have a very sore subject to talk about. I will probably bawl the whole time I type this, and then some. Back when Ella was just starting to be mobile we tried and tried to get her to do tummy time. She screamed bloody murder and would get herself so worked up to the point that she'd start choking and hyperventilating. Well, we're obviously not going to make her stay on her stomach as much as needed if she could stop breathing over it. Well, month by month she started to get a little bit more of a flat spot on her right side of her head. It's wasn't bad enough where we were to concerned, but because we had already hit our deductible for the year, we did a cat scan. Everything came up normal and we just decided, because the doctor told us to, that we'd just wait and see if it got better as she got more mobile. While she got more mobile it did seem to round out a little. Jeremy on the other hand every few months brings it back up and stirs the pot. I am very emotional about this and feel like a complete failure as a mother because of this. I know people are cruel and that they think I just left her in the crib all day, when that is beyond far from the truth!!! I probably held her too much and that is why her head is flat. I know I was guilty of holding her the same way and everyone else held her that way to, and that would have pushed on her head as well. I don't know why I make excuses. Anyway back to Jeremy. He always brings it back up, when he is the one that said we didn't have the money to do anything about it when we knew the helmet would work. Now, she's a year and he brings it back up AGAIN! I just can't take it anymore! He makes it seem like she's a circus freak and that everyone is staring at her and everyone is going to make fun of her. Yes, you can tell it's still got a bit of a flat spot, but her hair is covering it well. So, I had a pediatrician's appt today and expressed my interest (his interest) on the subject and we set up an appt to meet with a neurologist. I feel like such an ass for waiting for so long! I feel like a complete idiot!!! I don't want her to get made fun of, but I don't want her to have to be tramatized by wearing a helmet. She's old enough now, where she's going to freak out and possibly remember it. And as selfish as it to say, I don't want to go out into public with her in a helmet. You know people are going to point and laugh or point and talk shit! I just am not strong enough for that! I know everyone would say don't make her be stuck at home for 6 months, but like I already said... I feel like a complete failure as a mom and I don't want to disappoint my little Ella. I was just looking at her tonight while she played, smiling at me here and there. I was picturing her with this helmet on, so innocent, having no clue what was going on and just broke down into complete tears! Here I am sobbing on her shoulder! Poor thing. I just don't want her to have to go through such a tramatizing thing. But, I guess it'll be much more tramatizing for her when she's 10 getting picked on by the boy she has a crush on.
2 comments:
Kristi, I am so sorry you are going through such a difficult time. I will be keeping you guys in my prayers.
kristi, first - lots and lots of {{HUGS}} to you, my friend. dealing with things as a mother is never easy, whether it is an easy fix or a long and complicated one.
you are not at fault for waiting and please don't beat yourself up over it. you did what you thought was best at the time and that's all anyone can expect from you.
i was born cross-eyed. not normal newborn cross-eyed but completely to the point that it took 3 eye surgeries to get my eyes straightened out and they still aren't perfectly straight.
my mom and dad went through alot with that and i had to wear a patch in public, etc. people tended to stare and it bothered my mom a great deal but i remember NONE of that.
i remember my last surgery because i was around 8, i was in elementary school anyway. i did get picked on because the matter wasn't resolved. and it broke my mom's heart to watch me go through this.
ella isn't old enough to be traumatized by this yet and as long as she has support from you, she will be fine. she will cling to you for her security, not the world.
whether you choose to keep her inside for 6 months is your choice, either way i think you are doing the right thing by going forward with professional opinions and talking with people who know exactly what to do.
you will get through this and amazingly enough she will be the one to pull you through it, all the while, you will be the one to pull her through it.
your main priority is ella and don't let what anyone else says get in the way or break you down and make you feel like a failure. God placed her in your tummy and later in your arms because He knew you would know exactly how to take care of her.
love ya, girl, you know where to find me if ya need anything. and again, extra {{HUGS}}
Post a Comment